Wednesday, 21 March 2012

My new kora!

My new kora,
a beautiful 22-string (cassamance style) kora,




with a great pickup installed,
so no more haphazard masking tape bodges by me...




I had some initial fears,
maybe I don't like it as much as my old one?




But it's got a beautiful tone and these things take time to get used to - also I needed to raise and replace the new bridge with my old one, as the string spacing is familiar.




I'm looking forward to experimenting with fluorocarbon strings which are brighter and more resonant, and this kora has meatier machine heads which will take the extra strain...
Now I have two koras, which means I can use the old one to experiment with tunings, whilst I keep the new one in the tunings I've already used, ready for live shows.




This will also make it a lot easier to collaborate with other musicians, so please be in touch if you want to jam or need or want a kora part for one of your songs / live performances...


So now, Japan..!


No comments:

Post a Comment